Mobility – Stable vs Transient
The Stable Killer (eg. Gacy, Dahmer) –
- Lives and works in one location for an extended period.
- Hunts and kills within the local area.
- Disposes of bodies in the same or similar areas.
- Disposal site selected for concealment.
- May return to the crime scene or burial site.
- Seldom travels, but when forced to travel it is usually for business, family visits, or personal recreation.
The Transient Killer (eg. Bundy, Lucas) –
- Seldom stays in one spot more than a few weeks.
- Kills are spread out over a large area.
- Disposes of bodies in random locations.
- Disposal site selected for convenience.
- Seldom returns to the region of the crime.
- Travels continuously either for pleasure, to confuse law enforcement, or for new hunting grounds.